A portion of Scripture I have encouraged my grandkids to memorize is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24. All but one of the verses is brief and pointed. Verse 18 commands us to “give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1. That’s easy when you
- hear from your granddaughter that you are a great-grandparent again! Note picture of Sarah, Miles and Silas Grae (the latest).
- get a skype call from your grandson who is on assignment in a Central Asian country, but currently on a special assignment in a less dangerous country to take and develop a video on the work his organization is doing there. I got the call while having lunch in a restaurant!
- watch two grandsons play soccer for the conference championship and see one head the ball into the goal for the game winning score with only 5 minutes left! Then the other one scored with 2 minutes left in the first playoff game which they won in a shootout!
- know that all of our kids and their families are growing in the Lord and actively involved in their churches.
- hear from a pastor that he has a teen in his church who sets the alarm to get up in time to hear Lud’s radio program at 5:45 am! He goes to church with his grandmother because his parents aren’t interested.
- see how God is maturing those we are mentoring and teaching.
-it’s humbling to get an email like the following, showing
how God applies truth beyond what you intended:
“Dear Pastor, Thank you for your messages. This AM you spoke of the
relationship between husband and wife. I expanded your thoughts to help
me also. You see, I am not married. One of my problems is I like to
talk. That can bring much Trouble, especially with bosses and men in
general, not just Husbands. I was doing my devotions and just at the right moment, I believe, the Lord prompted me to stop and turn the radio on to hear you. Your teaching today will be a big help to me. My Dad died when I was 6, so I do not understand men too well. Thank you again. May God continue to bless your ministry.”
(*you can find this 2 minute message by clicking on arcives, then the month, November. Then either, Read Now: Thursday, November 07, 2013,
or Listen Now English.)
2. But it’s not as easy when you hear of friends
- suffering with ill health.
- loosing a job.
- having a wayward child.
- getting a divorce
- getting your radio program dropped from a station.
- seeing financial support for your ministry slow down over the last few months.
- hearing of friends struggling in their walk with God.
- having some you shared the Gospel with put off responding.
This Thanksgiving we choose to “give thanks in all circumstances,” because “The One who calls you is faithful and He will do it” (1 Thessalonians 5:24). Will you join us in giving Him thanks? We’d love to hear from you about your joys and needs so we can rejoice with you and pray for you. And we want you to know how much we appreciate your faithful prayer support. Have a great Thanksgiving.